For the City Times
Submitted by Tom Heiser
The Wisconsin GI Bill remits (forgives) full tuition and segregated fees for eligible veterans and their dependents for up to eight full-time semesters or 128 credits, whichever is greater, at any University of Wisconsin System or Wisconsin Technical College System school. The Wisconsin GI Bill is a state program that is entirely separate from the Federal GI Bill.
- Must have a Honorable or General Under Honorable Conditions discharge
- Time in service may be an issue (varies based on period of War vs Peacetime etc.)
- Must have either:
- Entered service from a Wisconsin Home of record and be a resident of Wisconsin or currently serving on active duty.
- If they did not enter service from Wisconsin but has been a Wisconsin resident for at least five consecutive years immediately preceding the semester or session they are registering for.
- Spouse & Children (dependents)-
- Veteran sponsor must meet the requirements above and have a VA service connected disability of at least 30% or has died in service or due to a service connected disease or injury.
- Student must be a resident of Wisconsin
- If veteran did not enter from Wisconsin the student must also be a Wisconsin resident for at least five consecutive years immediately preceding the semester or session they are registering for.
- Spouse has no time limit to use this benefit
- Children must be at least 17 years old but less than 26 years old at the start of the semester/session.
For more information or to apply see your County Veteran Service Officer.