Wisconsin GI Bill Fact Sheet for Local Veterans
For the City Times
Submitted by Tom Heiser
The Wisconsin GI Bill remits (forgives) full tuition and segregated fees for eligible veterans and their dependents for up to eight full-time semesters or 128 credits, whichever is greater, at any University of Wisconsin System or Wisconsin Technical College System school. The Wisconsin GI Bill is a state program that is entirely separate from the Federal GI Bill.
- Must have a Honorable or General Under Honorable Conditions discharge
- Time in service may be an issue (varies based on period of War vs Peacetime etc.)
- Must have either:
- Entered service from a Wisconsin Home of record and be a resident of Wisconsin or currently serving on active duty.
- If they did not enter service from Wisconsin but has been a Wisconsin resident for at least five consecutive years immediately preceding the semester or session they are registering for.
- Spouse & Children (dependents)-
- Veteran sponsor must meet the requirements above and have a VA service connected disability of at least 30% or has died in service or due to a service connected disease or injury.
- Student must be a resident of Wisconsin
- If veteran did not enter from Wisconsin the student must also be a Wisconsin resident for at least five consecutive years immediately preceding the semester or session they are registering for.
- Spouse has no time limit to use this benefit
- Children must be at least 17 years old but less than 26 years old at the start of the semester/session.
For more information or to apply see your County Veteran Service Officer.