A sweet sale: Cub Scouts raise funds for cancer patients
For the Rapids City Times
WISCONSIN RAPIDS – Cub Scout Pack 171, from First English Lutheran Church in Wisconsin Rapids, recently donated $1,109 to help local cancer patients – funds raised through their annual cake auction.
Held each March, the Pack keeps 30 percent of the funds raised by the cake auction and donates the remaining 70 percent to a local cause. This year, the Pack selected Aspirus Riverview Foundation’s Cancer Patient Fund to receive their donation. The Fund helps patients of Aspirus UW Cancer Center who are in need of assistance with expenses related to their cancer treatment, such as medication co-pays, transportation expenses, nutritional supplements, medical, oral and skin care supplies, and other unexpected expenses.
Scouts and others bake and decorate the cakes, which are judged by a local panel, then auctioned off.