Mead School evacuated
By City Times staff
WISCONSIN RAPIDS – Mead School in Wisconsin Rapids was evacuated the morning of Jan. 9, due to the detection of smoke in the building.
The Wisconsin Rapids Fire Department was called to the scene at 8:15 a.m. and students and staff were evacuated from the building.
“Mead School had to be evacuated this morning due to a plastic smoke being detected in the building,” Wisconsin Rapids Public Schools Superintendent Craig Broeren said in a statement to parents.
The Wisconsin Rapids Fire Department was on scene and students and staff were evacuated from the building.
“They’ve discovered the issue to be a wall heater as the source of the burning smell, and there is no threat for students and staff,” he added. “Our Maintenance Department is taking care of the issue to remedy it, and students and staff will be returning to class very soon.”
Broeren said that students and staff were not in any danger.